A forgotten story links Leonardo da Vinci to Milan - the story of a vineyard. The same vineyard that Ludovico “Il Moro” Duke of Milan, gave to Leonardo as a gift in 1498. A vineyard surrounded by legends involving Leonardo, his works and his followers. Today the vineyard is born again, within the original rows and with the original vine stock.
From Lorenzo de’ Medici’s Florence Leonardo moves to Milan, under Ludovico Maria ‘Il Moro’ Sforza’s rule, in 1482. In 1495, Ludovico commissions Leonardo to paint the Last Supper in the refectory of Santa Maria delle Grazie. In 1498, Ludovico grants Leonardo the ownership of a vineyard of about 16 rows, planted and cultivated in the field at the bottom of the garden of the Atellani House, the last house standing from 1490 of a hamlet created by the Duke.
However, when the King of France’s troops vanquishes and imprisons ‘Il Moro’ in 1500, Leonardo leaves Milan. Leonardo will never stop taking care of his vineyard. When the French confiscate the Vineyard, Leonardo finally manages to take it back and on his death bed he mentions it, leaving part of it to servant and another part to his pupil, Gian Giacomo ‘Salaì’ Caprotti.